Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Em"Bracing" My new Smile





Hi All,
Today is my 13th day with braces...amazing how fast time is going by and already I'm seeing my teeth move! It will be hard to forget the day I got my braces since it was the day Michael Jackson sadly passed away :( As I layed on my couch watching E! I couldn't believe what I was seeing...definitely a sad day. My teeth were a bit more sore today than normal, but I've gotten to the point where I can chew without massive pain. I was thinking I would lose weight considering my diet was very minimal…but oh NO! I actually gained a 1 ½ lbs! I think I’ve just been loading up on carbs which include potatoes, rice, pasta, yogurt, yams, etc! So disappointing considering I thought I would actually lose lbs not gain them! I try to tell myself that the metal in my mouth must weigh exactly 1 ½lbs I SWEAR!

Yesterday, the feeling of gaining weight only increased when I started playing Wii Fit and my Wii Fit Fitness Instructor totally got me in trouble! When I stepped on the scale it showed I’d gain 2lbs! So needless to say he worked my butt off…literally I hope! So today I decided it was time to show my new be-dazzled grill to my gym buddies, since I was avoiding the gym since I'd gotten braces. As I walked into the gym and checked in I saw this hottie! I’ve actually run into him a few times and we just briefly look at eachother and smile. We did our normal smile but this time I proudly showed off my grill. As I walked away I felt good…my confidence is increasing and progressively growing. And frankly I've gotten to the point where I don't care what people think about a 25 year old with braces as long as I'm good with myself, that's all I care about.

Tuesdays are usually my busiest day out of the week, usually filled with business meetings and a lunch on the go. I was a little nervous to go into a meeting where I knew I’d be surrounded by some of the top people from my organization. I didn’t let that stop me, I continued as if nothing was different. I’m sure people noticed, but they didn’t point, laugh, or make fun of me. (at least not in front of me) LOL! I got that out of the way and I know it will only get better from here on out.

At the beginning I felt like my lips were not big enough to accommodate my new gear. I don’t know if my lips are getting bigger (Angelina Jolie Style) or if my mouth is just getting used to it, but I don’t feel that way anymore. My speech is improving and I’m no longer having trouble with my S’s. I must admit I practiced talking in the mirror and singing to Taylor Swift’s Love Story song! I must have replayed that about 3 times until I got it right!

I go in for a tightening on September 10th, which is 10 weeks out. I'm not sure if that's the standard because I've heard of people having their appointments 6 weeks out but not 10? Maybe my teeth don't require much moving, I don't know but plan to ask my ortho at that time. Anyway, at that time I have to option to switch my lower level gear to clear-gear if I want to. I'm still debating if I want to endure the pain of having to switch my lower silver colored brackets into clear brackets. Not only that, it's hard trying to keep the clear brackets clear, and they are actually bigger and bulkier than the regular silver looking ones. Plus you really can't see my lower silver colored ones unless I open my mouth for the world to see...which doesn't happen very often unless I've had a few drinks!

There's is a lot to look forward to before I get my first tightening. I will be celebrating my birthday out of town, going to Vegas for a bachlorette party, and then will be attending my BFF's wedding. I'm sure I will have plenty of fun braceology moments to share with you all!

Smile :D

No comments:

Post a Comment